Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Lot of Drama Going Down

First off, there was that whole controversy about how the beginning of the end of the world was supposed to end on Saturday but didn't. I didn't clear out my possessions or anything like that (but I heard some people did), but once the prediction had come to my attention, I couldn't not have it float around in my head.

Second, Joplin, which I live maybe an hour or two at most from, got hit by a tornado. I've never lived in Joplin, but I have taken the occasional shopping trip there. The mantra in my family was if we couldn't find what we wanted/needed in our own hometown, there was always Joplin. Now, with all that has happened over there, I won't be able to look at that town the same way again.

 This morning, it came to my attention that someone in an online bookclub that I'm involved in has been through a lot lately and wants to kill herself and has asked us about painless ways to go about it. Those of us who have begged her not to kill herself, to get help, etc. This person is, from my understanding three years older than me and one year younger than my sister. I don't know her personally, but the thought of her resorting to such drastic measures scares me. If I lived closer to her, I'd maybe ask her for her number so that I could check up on her and/or in case she needed to call someone and vent. I might ask one of the other members to check up on her. I am hoping that she is simply blowing off steam at this time, but I've heard stories of people threatening suicide and following through (at least one anyway; the guy was 19 at the time and did it via an online telecast even).

Hopefully, all of the this will pass. It is all a lot for me to process at this time.

No comments: