Saturday, May 14, 2011

Do We Really Have One Week Left Until Judgement Day?

If you have been raised on any school of Christian thought, you were probably taught that "Judgement Day" is where Jesus will make his second appearance on Earth and take those who have been saved to Heaven. Everyone else will be left behind. (Ever read the "Left Behind" series? I've read the first ten books of the kid version.) Following that will be destruction and the end of the world altogether. What I was taught was, yes, this will all happen at some point, but it was my understanding that only God knew when this would happen.

However, there is a religious group that claims that Judgement Day will happen on May 21 of this year, followed by the end of the world altogether exactly five months later. It just so happens that the date that Judgement Day will supposedly happen is a week from today.

 I don't tend to quote the Bible very often in my posts if ever. However, Mark 13:32-33 clearly states, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come." (NIV).  In other words, we don't know when it will happen. Maybe it will happen on that day. Maybe it won't.

I for one will take a "we'll see" approach to this and just go about my business as planned for that day (including a meeting I have with someone depending on whether or not that date works out for them). After that day, I will check back in on the site to see if it's still up, and write to the people running it to please respond if they are still here on this earth with the rest of us. After all, it will mean that either they made a mistake about the date or they were not saved. I may also write to them again on October 21 of this year if that day comes and goes and I'm still here and so is this world. With the latter date, I'll ask them what happened. I'll let you all know when and if I get a response.

No comments: