Sunday, September 11, 2011

On the Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

As you are probably aware, September 11, 2001 was the day when the twin towers and World Trade Center were destroyed.
I would have been a junior in high school when it happened, and it happened shortly after a test I had in my chemistry class that day. I still remember the outfit I was wearing, seeing lines of cars at gas stations
on my way home from school, asking my stepdad if he needed to go get gas, my sister coming over for a few minutes, and the band booster potluck that was almost cancelled.

There was supposedly some media coverage in connection to that today, but I didn't really mess with watching it since I hardly ever watch TV in the day anymore. (Most of the time, either I'm not home or I'm too "distracted" by something on the computer.)

It's mostly little things that I remember on that day as well as some of the anniversaries. For instance, on the first anniversary of that day, I watched Forrest Gump with my stepdad. On the second anniversary, I was attending community college, and a flag was displayed on at least one of the buses I was on. In the evening, my mom's then Himalayan cat was laying on my mom's dark blue bathrobe. When my stepdad saw this, he said in that tattletale kind of voice, "Mommy's gonna kill you." (She didn't really.) Last year, I was at my sister's house as my mom and I had attended her birthday party the night before. We had stayed the night because of the timing of said party. This was also the same year that a church had threatened to burn copys of the Koran. The other "anniversaries" are pretty much a blur.

I don't think much about 9/11 these days. I guess part of it is that I was very far from what had happened on that day, part of it is the amount of time it has had to go cold, and part of it is having my mind on other things. But I guess that's just me.

No comments: