Friday, September 23, 2011

Twenty-eight Days until the [Supposed] End of the World

According to some Christian websites out there, we have twenty-eight days, a.k.a. four weeks left until the end of the world.
I was supposed to go with my mom tomorrow to see my sister and her family, but that trip has been cancelled as my mom has been sick. If certain sites are right, I only have four weeks to have any chance of seeing my sister and her family. However, as we live in separate towns, and my sister's not in the best position to come see us at this time, I'm lucky if I will see her before Thanksgiving or Christmas.

But then, even if I don't get to see her in the next four weeks, and the end of the world prediction turns out to be wrong, then perhaps I will get a chance to see her, even if it is closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas. We'll just have to wait and see what happens on that.

3 comments:

Mozette said...

Hey... look, let's put it this way:

These Christian groups have been telling us it's the end of the world - as we know it - since I was born (in 1973). Every few years, when their supposed Day of Judgement comes and goes (and yet nothing happens), they get their knickers in a major knot and think what date could possible scared the crud out of the rest of us next time, close their eyes and point to the calendar and then jump up and down screaming it's that particular date.

Then, there's this dilemma about the Mayan calendar - which unless you've been living under a rock - is ending next year. Now, some people have gotten it wrong and thought that the world is going to either stop spinning and we're going to die, turn around and switch poles (which is an absolute classic of a joke and made me laugh really hard I nearly fell off my chair!) or we're all just going to ... well, stop using the Mayan calendar; seeing we've been using the Roman one for how long???

Jeez... I'm going to be around after the next 28 days, so is everyone else. As for next year? Don't go selling off everything, or giving all your stuff away either. It's the Mayan Calendar that's ending, not the world.

Now, I'll get off my soap box and let somebody else have a go. :)

Moderate Mouse said...

I've never considered it to be my place, as a Christian or otherwise, to try and predict the end of the world. I don't even see much point in doing so when I can't even predict every little thing that will happen in the next twenty-four hours. Nevertheless, this is a matter that can't come to my attention and not float around in my head for a while.

My concern with those that swear up and down that the end will occur on this date or that date is, if said date comes and goes without anything happening, how will they be able to explain themselves?

Not every professed Christian bought the May 21 prediction, and no doubt they don't by the October 21 one either. The ones that didn't/don't buy either prediction are the ones that generally stress parts of the Bible that say that nobody knows the day or the hour. I heard that the Jehovah's witnesses have given up on trying to predict the year and now just stick to "The end is near" or something like that.

Mozette said...

I never take any of this 'end of the world' stuff seriously; and I don't think I ever will... well, not in my lifetime.