Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sleeping In Socks...Or Not

When I was a lot younger, I'd have on socks when sleeping as often as I could get away with it. (And if I didn't like being barefoot when asleep, I really didn't like it while awake unless I was swimming or bathing. There were a couple of times when I've performed household tasks and/or spent whole days with nothing on my feet whatsoever against my better wishes.) However, there were times when I was compelled to sleep in bare feet (the order almost always coming from my sister) with the reason being that my feet needed to "air".

For reasons too embarrassing to talk about here, I cut back on wearing socks to bed when I was 15 or 16. But even so, I'd be sure to have on socks or other footwear if I was going to be up and about.

These days, I still don't like being barefoot around the house, especially when engaged in something serious, such as housework. For those situations, depending on whatever else I'm wearing and/or the weather, I'll wear either ballet flat slippers or a pair of blue flip-flops that, because of a certain detail at the V-strap, I only wear them at home.  (I used to dress all the way to "real" shoes every day regardless of whether or not I was going somewhere that day. I've cut down on that since earlier this year, but that's another story for another time.) At night I may or may not have on socks, depending on how cold my feet are at the time. If I do put on socks they are normally your average "slipper socks" which I'd just as soon refer to as "pajama socks" since I mostly wear them with pajamas.  However, more often than not, if I have on socks in bed, I eventually end up kicking them off, and I'll wake up with them somewhere under the covers. I don't exactly know why except maybe my feet only so much time to warm up. But when/if I do get up to get a glass of water in the middle of the night or I grab a cup of coffee before getting dressed, I'll have on socks or slippers, especially in the winter as we have mostly hard floors and that can be cold to bare feet. Plus, I can barely bring myself to associate being barefoot with typical "up and about" moments for some reason.

What about you? Do you ever sleep with socks on? Why/why not? If so, have you had any situation where you kick them off in the middle of the night? When you do get up to do something while still in your pajamas, do you feel the need to have something on your feet? If so, why?

No comments: