Friday, October 22, 2010

A Bit Of Writing-Related Anxiety

A week from this coming Monday, I'm going to be involved in National Novel Writing Month. I think I have an idea of what I want to do, but I'm nervous about it.

The idea I had in mind was Miss Scissors, which would more or less parody the Saw movie series.  Like Jigsaw, Miss Scissors would kidnap or trap people, call them out on something, and test their will to live via a series of "games". Instead of Billy the Puppet, there'd be Molly the Doll. Instead of cutting pieces out of people's skin, Miss Scissors would have cardboard cutouts of her victims, and if a victim should not survive a test, she would cut a piece out of the cutout to symbolize the missing "survivial instinct." (Her backstory has yet to be fully determined.) Hopefully, her methods won't be as gory as those of Jigsaw.

The problem is that I know my dad and possibly my grandma will want to see it after they hear about it. However, I'm worried I won't be able to make the idea Grandma-friendly. (Sometimes my characters cuss and do other things that would go against her beliefs.) Maybe I could for instance, have any cursing that ensues changed, but I'd  have to make disclaimers on the overall story.

If I can't come up with anything else before November, I might just go with that and deal with the consequences later.

No comments: