Tuesday, December 21, 2010

No Christmas Breaks For Me This Year Outside Of The Actual Christmas Day

Up until I graduated from high school, I'd have Christmas Breaks from sometime before Christmas until shortly after New Year's Day. When I was in college, I'd have a break lasting from a week or two before Christmas until mid-January. When I graduated from college two years ago (December graduate), I spent that general period moving to St. Louis and settling in with my dad (whom I haven't seen in over a year due to some health problems of his that sent me back to my mom). The job search would come later. Last year, I had been in the process of looking for a job, but I opted to take a break from it either shortly before or shortly after Christmas. I was originally going to resume it the first full week after New Year's, but due to the problematic weather at the time, I had to wait an extra week.

This year, unless it turns out that I will have the chance to visit my dad, I am NOT taking any breaks. The days between now and Christmas Day (which is on a Saturday this year) and between Christmas Day and New Year's Day will be treated NO differently from the rest of the year. Not only will I be continuing with my regularly scheduled volunteer work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but I will maintain my routine of doing something towards my job search on Tuesday or Thursday and laundry on the other day. I will set my alarm at my regular time and everything.

Let's face it. Christmas breaks outside of the actual Christmas day are a thing of the past for me. There are people in my life who have full time jobs (something that I'm in the process of seeking) that require their appearance in-between Christmas and New Year's no less than any other time of the year.   If they can maintain their everyday routines and responsibilities within that time of year, surely so can I if I wish to establish myself as a proper adult. After all, (Lord willing) I will one day have an actual paid job where I will need to be somewhere at a certain time every time regardless of time of year. I might as get myself used to that general idea now.

No comments: