Monday, December 20, 2010

Nine Years Without Eating Any Vegetables? Really?

On the radio station I normally listen to in the mornings, there's a segment called "Does that make me crazy?" where listeners will call and describe a quirk or some other seemingly odd fact about themselves and end with "Does that make me crazy?" (And the people on the air will describe one of their quirks as well.)

Today, a 15-year-old boy called in and said that he hadn't eaten any vegetables whatsoever since he was six. (He said he had a problem with the smell of them, and his parents didn't make him eat them.) So, it's been nine years since he had eaten a vegetable. (He ate a pepper that was in his fridge per a dare from one of the disc jockeys that was on the air.)

While I wouldn't say I was raised to be a "health nut" I was raised to regard vegetables as a necessity of life. My parents would have never let me get away with not eating vegetables. It just wasn't done. If salad was somehow involved in the meal, I would've been expected to eat some.

I don't eat vegetables every single day, but I could not imagine going an entire year without them (even if it's just lettuce as part of a sandwhich), let alone nine. It's hard for me to imagine. How does someone live without them? (I've heard that even cats and dogs, who are carnivores by nature, need some vegetation in their diet. My sister's dog Cosmo is far more willing to eat vegetables than is her boyfriend's dog Millie. As for my stepdad's dog, I know she at least likes radishes. I think she likes carrots too.)

What about you? Could you envision yourself going multiple years of your life without eating vegetables? Have you ever done so? When was the last time you have had a vegetable of any kind, or do you even remember?

No comments: