Saturday, September 18, 2010

Splashing Acid On Herself For Attention? Who Does That?

Today, I saw an article about an acid attack "victim" who, as it turns out, did it herself. The story can be found here. At first she said that a black woman splashed acid in her face, and then later, she admitted to doing it to herself. When various people thought the former was the case, she gained a lot of sympathy, and donations were made towards her recovery  So now, whatever money was donated for her recovery will be returned, not to meniton she's "faces charges for filing a false police report. (A mention of a planned appearance on Oprah that ended up not happening can be found here.

I have no clue why she did what she did. Is she mentally ill? Is she a con artist? Who knows?

All I know I wouldn't do anything like that to get attention. First off, I wouldn't pour acid on myself. Second, I wouldn't rip people off like that. It wasn't how I was raised. (Now that the truth is out, the money donated towards her recovery is going to be returned. Nonetheless, she still has to undergo recover but will have to figure out an honest means to get whatever money is needed for that.) Third, if I wanted fame or attention from people not already in my life (which may have been the motive), there are ways to do it that don't involve hurting yourself and saying that someone else did it to you.

I don't know what will happen if she's convicted of the false police report charge.  What do you think should happen? Should she do jail time, pay a fine, or do community service? Do you also think maybe she needs to be committed somewhere? I'd like to know what you all think about this.

(P.S. To those of you who may have tried to comment: my settings were such that it said that it appeared that only "registered users" could comment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and it has been changed so that anyone, even those who wish to remain anonymous can comment.)

1 comment:

Moderate Mouse said...

I've just now read an update on this story where the person's former mother-in-law denies that it was a self-inflicton. It can be found at:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/acid-attack-victim-fake/story?id=11626901&page=1