Saturday, September 11, 2010

Another US-Centric Post: Where Were You On 9/11?

As those of you in the US are probably aware, today is the ninth anniversary of 9/11, when planes were hijacked, and the World Trade Center and Twin Towers were destroyed.  You may be asked where you were on 9/11. Here is what I was up to on that day:

I was a junior in high school at the time. I had a test in the first class I had that day--chemistry. Shortly after said test did I find out that stuff was going on. At some point in that class, the TV was on one of the channels covering the incident. Someone at some point joked, "It's the end of the world. Party at my place."

The next class I had that day was Intro. to Shakespeare where I had a vocabulary quiz. After that, the the news was on in that class.  The issue also came up for a short while in a Spanish class that I had that day as well. (I had one other class that day, but I don't recall right off what it was.)

On the way home after school (rode the bus), I saw a lot of gas stations with long lines of cars at the pumps. When I finally got home, I asked my stepdad if he needed to go get gas, but he said that he and Mom took car of that during their lunch hours. Also, my sister came over for a bit. (She had to wait a long time to get gas and had to settle for Premium as it was all that was left.) She said that her then boyfriend (now ex-husband) had a picture of himself at the Twin Towers and said that nobody could take a picture like that anymore.

The Band Booster potluck that was scheduled that day almost got cancelled. It went on, but I think the mentality was "Let's get to the point as quickly as possible so that we can all go home to watch the news."

It's funny what one can remember on a day like that. I even remember what I was wearing that day (khaki pants with hose underneath, a denim shirt, a multi-colored scarf, brown sandals, and a sparkly ponytail holder with which I had the top layer of my hair pulled back). So I ask you, where were you, and what do you remember about that day?

No comments: