Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Lottery Winner on Food Stamps?

It came to my attention today that someone who won $1 million in the lottery is on food stamps. Yet, she has two houses and a new car. She thought that it was okay for her to still be recieveing public assistance since she's unemployed, has two houses and bills to pay. As a result of cases like this, a Lawmaker wants to make it so that people who win over $1000 in the lottery are cut off from welfare.

I am not on welfare myself. Nor do I play the lottery. But if I did as much as she did, I don't think I would remain on welfare. (Surely the winnings would last me for a good while provided I'm not overly foolish about what I do with them.)  I'm also not employed, but I have attempted to obtain employment. (I would hope that she would have at least attempted to get employment.)  I cannot see myself "entitled" to welfare if I were to somehow obtain that kind of money, especially if there are people out there who need the welfare more than I do.

So what do you think? Do you think that a person who wins $1 million (or some other major amount) in the lottery ( or obtains it via other means) still deserves to recieve welfare? And do you think that there should be a law cutting lottery winners off from public assistance?

No comments: